Sunday, January 2, 2011

What do I want to do this year?

Many people set goals for a year, I'm not one of those. It is difficult to set writing goals. Do I go by the number of words written? Or should I pick by submissions? Or even publications?

The writing business doesn't really work like that. I am certain that I could write 1000 words a day and thus produce 365,000 words. That would be three rough drafts of novels the length that I write. That wouldn't mean much. I doubt that I could continuously write without going back and editing. It would not advance my overall skills.

I could say that I'll complete another book. I'm sure that would make a publisher happy. The caveat is that it must be quality. If I send a crappy novel to May December Publications, I'd get smacked. Just because one is published doesn't mean the next will be. I'm not a famous writer who can produce junk and have a million people buy it. I'm only as good as my last book.

I could say that I want to get an agent. An agent would be a nice feather in my cap, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for one. My writing is being published by a small press that I really like. An agent would probably not want to deal with them.

Another alternative would be to work on my series of near-future short stories. I've learned that it is pretty easy to "publish" my own work through Smashwords or Amazon and sell them for almost nothing. Any sales would stroke my ego. Technically, this option is open to me, but I think it isn't ethical for my horror stories. May December Publications is doing a lot of work and advertising on Escape from Hope and they are publishing Lucky Streak in July. I hope that my work meets their expectations.

I've rambled through this and realize that I haven't made any decisions. I plan to work on my writing every day. I guess that is all I can plan for now.

I wish you all a Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment