Monday, June 20, 2011

Review of Eolyn


I want to preface this by saying that I know Karin through the Dead Horse Society Writing Group in Kansas City. I've been reading the sequel in our critique group.

As a middle-aged man, I don't feel like I'm the true demographic for this novel. I rarely read novels with a young female protagonist. It is a challenge for me to relate.

The book starts with a gripping sequence. There are many important bits of information which are necessary to understand the narrative, and they are given in just enough detail to keep the story making sense. I was riveted.

The next section is extremely important for defining the most important interpersonal relationship in the book. I found my attention wondering, but I knew the payoff would be worth plugging through. This is more likely a reflection of my state of mind than the novel. When I re-read it, I think I'll enjoy it more.

The remainder of the novel reads like an experienced novelist. To be honest, I felt it was more complex and subtle than King Rat. The plot contained many reasonable complications. None of the characters are exactly the way they appear. This rich world successfully engaged me to the point that I read the last hundred pages in almost no time. The ending was not a surprise to me since I'm reading the sequel, but normal readers will be excited by this.

All in all, I give this 4 out of 5 stars compared to all novels that I read. As a first novel this is 5 out of 5. I urge everyone to read it.

An excellent hardcopy may be purchased at here.

No comments:

Post a Comment