Saturday, July 2, 2011

Movie review -- X-Men First Class and The Hammer




Once again I am faced with the daunting task of writing a blog post about my struggles as a writer when I don’t have any real progress to report. Sometimes the adventure in writing is living. My personal life is starting to sort itself out. The divorce is set to be finalized in two weeks. My apartment is clean and organized. I’ve even had the kids for two weekends.
I lack the creative energy to write. A large nondescript wall has materialized in all directions. Every time I seek a new creative avenue, it blocks my path.
Last night, I decided that a writing assignment would jump start my journey. So I went to see X-Men First Class. I collected the comic in the late 1970s and early 80s and I always wanted to learn more about the relationship between Professor X and Magneto. The movie delivered. It is by far the best of the comic book movies that have come out in recent times. Kevin Bacon completely stole the show with his outstanding performance. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Another pleasant surprise was delivered by Netflix -- Adam Corolla’s independent movie, The Hammer. In the interests of full disclosure, I am an avid listener of his #1 in the world downloaded podcast. Even so, I expected him to appear stiff and unbelievable. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most people don’t know this, but his big break came when he showed up at a radio station to teach Jimmy Kimmel how to box. His experience showed in every boxing scene. I think I’m going to watch it again before mailing it back. What makes this movie is that it is about Adam’s character’s development. I really cared. See this flick, it is a very solid 3.5 stars.
I guess I managed to write something after all. I hope I didn’t bore you too much. Until next time, I remain Dane Grannon.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! You should do a review on The Walking Dead next!

    AMC premiered the trailer for the second season today at Comic-Con and now I CAN'T WAIT for the season to start! Check it out: http://ow.ly/1uSvGs

    Will be looking forward to future posts :)

    ReplyDelete