Saturday, August 13, 2011

Update for weekending 08/13/2011


Several of my friends who are known for telling the truth no matter how much it would hurt someone's feelings have read Lucky. One said that there is a scene that "made my skin crawl". I can't tell you how pleased that made me. Another friend who is a non-horror reader gave it a 4 star review only because the horror ending. He described Lucky as gripping and thoroughly enjoyed it. I only wish that others would try it.

I learned that a person requested Lucky Streak for his local library and they said that they won't be adding it to their collection. I'm feeling the pain of all debut novelists at small presses. It is a real struggle to have my book carried. There is a good chance that The Raven Bookstore in Lawrence, Kansas will carry it. I spoke to the owner when Lucky was first accepted for publication and she said it was likely. When she returns from vacation next week, I'll stop by.

On the evening of Saturday, Aug 13th, I'll be doing a limited reading after The Writer's Place in Kansas City. After the KaCSFFS meeting, I'll read some from Lucky. I really appreciate the chance to read in front of a group of people whom I know. Maybe I'll even sell a copy or two. I'm not holding my breath though.

I want to thank my friend Brad who must realize that my intellect is returning and I'm being completely unreasonable in our "debate" just for the sake of being unreasonable. I'm still fostering the idea of writing a political satire novel.

Finally, I have started on the next Lucky book. I am currently on Chapter 4. The first two chapters started out well. The third was a little disjointed, but it is an early draft. I've also written the first sequence for a novel placed in the time of swords and magic. It isn't high fantasy. I have no plans for elves or orcs and any of that ilk. There is an interesting monster of my own creation though.

Until next time, I remain, Dane Grannon

2 comments:

  1. I'll have you know I still find myself returning to Lucky Streak and the possible ramifications of how you ended it. Lots of fodder for continued musings, most of it horrific.

    ReplyDelete