Saturday, October 8, 2011

Comic Reviews

I read Frankenstein: Agent of shade as on of my selections for the DC 52 relaunch. This is by far the most cartoony of the books I read. I loved the artwork and and the action. The writer did a wonderful job making Frankenstein and the surrounding cast interesting. The artwork added to the surreal feel of the entire book. It is a great combination. I rate this as a buy.

I decided to give Men of War #2 a try. The artwork is still wonderful and the humans are both realistic and interesting. The story does a good job providing a brief backstory on Sgt Rock that enhances his character. Then the story gets bad. Rock is dealing with a godlike being who takes him to the upper-reaches of the atmosphere. She issues a warning. The first issue established that Rock is in the DC Universe and super powered people are around. I hope the involvement would be minimal at best. This is what I didn't want to see. This story is a borrow.

On the other hand, the Navy SEALs story that is also in the book, became considerably more interesting. It continues last issue's story and in well done. The glaring mistakes made before were less noticeable. This story moved from a pants to a borrow.

The other "story" was a bit of batman as an enhanced ad for a batman mini series or book. I'm not a fan.


That's it for this post, I'll be writing another either later today or tomorrow. I promise to talk about writing. I have news.

Until next time, I remain, Dane Grannon

No comments:

Post a Comment