Friday, October 14, 2011

dystopian

Everyone knows that I write dystopian fiction, As such I'm interested in a variety fiction of that genre. A friend suggested that I read Orchid #1 from Dark Horse Comics. This issue is only $1.00. Reluctantly, I ordered it from my local comic store.

First thing: This is not for children. It is definitely teen+.

This comic was written by Tom Morello drawn by Scott Hepburn colored by Dan Jackson and lettered by Nate Piekos. The cover was by Massimo Carnevale. I don't know who any of these people are and to my knowledge have never been exposed to them.

The cover captures the essence of Orchid at the beginning of the story. It incorporates several clues that reveal the nature of the world. I think that Massimo would be an excellent choice to due a cover for the second edition of Lucky Streak. ( I love Sean Conn's cover, but don't know if he'll be able to draw a different cover for me,)

Tom Morello's writing is very good. There is a subtlety and complexity that reminds me of some of the best novels. He is not afraid to take chances. He also showed a good skill at misdirection. I found the story to be very well done.

Scott Hepburn's drawing is a very dark realistic style. His faces convey a great deal of emotion and personality. His sense of motion is very good.

Dan Jackson's coloring hits the tone perfectly. The entire book feels dirty and grimy. Red is the only bright color.

I don't know anything about lettering, but Nate Piekos' work did not distract from the story. It was easy to read with appropriate emphasis.

This is a well done book. I give it a definite BUY.

I also really enjoyed the second issue of Demon Knights. It further develops the host of characters.

Until next time, I remain, Dane Grannon

2 comments:

  1. Tom Morello is actually the former guitar player from Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave. I heard he was writing a comic, but I haven't read it, yet. Looks lik eit would be a good one to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bring the issue to Dead Horse Society meeting

    ReplyDelete