Monday, November 14, 2011

The Future of Media part 1

I don't write non-fiction essays, but there is something that's been eating at me for a long time. What do we expect to pay for our various forms of entertainment? What forms will that entertainment take? This posting will ramble and I don't plan to edit because I want my true voice to come through. Maybe this will make sense. I'm betting that it will ramble.

To address the costs, it is necessary to examine what the public wants from the various media. I know what I want, but it would be the height of arrogance to presume that others want the same. So I did a little research and I do mean a little. I'm a geek or a nerd, depending on your definition, and concentrated on determining what my demographic wants. My research consisted of watching Amazon sales rankings and listening to the following podcasts, The Adam Carolla Show,The Nerdist,The Legion of Dudes,Half Hour Wasted, The Walking Dead TV Podcast, PDK Media Blackbox, Geek Dads Weekly, Comic Geek Speak, and last but probably my favorite The Film Vault. Have I mentioned that I have an extremely long commute?

This research led me to this conclusion, we want access to everything whenever we want it. This shouldn't surprise anyone. Society as a whole is completely centered on the now. I could go on about how young adults are living with their parents longer because they like the amenities of home, but that would lead to a discussion about the economy, taxes and the budget. I'm not qualified to provide answers on these topics, although I bet this site would receive more traffic. At what price, my soul?

If I was writing a formal paper, there would be footnotes documenting the following, but this isn't and I don't feel like fleshing this out into an article. Given my lack of reputation in the business, I doubt anyone would publish this in any form.

Network television is dying. Big surprise. I'm such a wonderfully deep thinker -- a true visionary. I truly wish for a sarcasm tag. The current ratings woes at NBC are a prime example. I saw a story on the web, that stated that something like 50% of their primetime schedule is below the audience levels of most of the shows that were cancelled last season. I'm certain that the other networks are facing similar struggles. The originality of the programming is declining. If there is a good concept, the networks spawns several replicas. Does anyone really know how many versions of CSI is running? With few notable exceptions, there is very little worth watching on ABC, CBS, and NBC. Go ahead and make a comment about a show that is truly worth watching. I'd be interested to see.

There are some television programs that I consider worth seeing, but, for the most part, I wouldn't let my younger children see them. I am a big fan of The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad. I also enjoyed the premier of Hell on Wheels. But here's a secret, I don't watch them at the scheduled time or even from on my television. I sit in front of my computer and watch them. I've even watched them on my iPhone. As I said before, I want programming when and where I want it.

As you probably guessed from my list of podcasts, I was a big fan of radio programs. The problem is, some are broadcast at times that don't fit my schedule. That's why I love podcasts. They are ready when I am. Adam Carolla calls his podcast "The pirate ship" and reportedly turned down a multi-million dollar offer to return to the airwaves.

Streaming content is the wave of the future. Unlike recorded shows, it is much more difficult to skip commercials. I'm willing to listen to the commercials in order to have the shows when I want them.

This post is getting quite long. I will continue the discussion in part two later this week.

Until next time, I remain, Dane Grannon

No comments:

Post a Comment