Thursday, January 19, 2012

17 Sept 1916

Day 100 of the blockade. France surrendered this morning. Their navy sailed past my window on the way to Germany. The entire boardinghouse fell silent as our onetime ally passed by. The Irish revolution has flared. This time, the Irish are well-armed and fat while the British troops starve. Last Easter seems like a lifetime ago. There is no news from Russia. The United States confirmed her neutrality in the European conflict. President Wilson is running on a platform of "He kept us out of War." As I look at the starving children in the streets of Dover, I'm ashamed to be an American. How can our people think this will not affect them? There are rumors that a ship will arrive in France to repatriate my fellow Americans. The Germans have announced that they will allow a ferry to transport us across the channel. I hope my employer allows me to go, even if leaving makes me a coward.

No comments:

Post a Comment