Monday, March 31, 2014

Review of Battlestar Galactica Starbuck by Dynamite

My review of the Dynamite Comics mini-series Battlestar Galactica Starbuck.

After the justifiably cancelled series Classic Battlestar Galactica, I had limited expectations for this series. While eating dinner, I decided to read the four issues.

The series kept the same creative team of Tony Lee, Eman Casallos, Davi Correa, Joshua Cozine, Sean Chen and Adriano Lucas for the entire run.

The covers were good but not spectacular. I found their style pleasing to my tastes. The palette was appropriate as well.

Eman Casallos did a fine job on the interior artwork. The scenes conveyed action when necessary and tension where needed. Characters looked like who they were supposed to be.

David Correa's color palette was very appropriate. Through a variety of settings, he enhanced rather than overwhelmed the drawings.

I'm not a fan of Joshua Cozine's lettering. A few times it was difficult to read the dialog in the correct order.

The story itself fits well into established Battlestar continuity. Tony Lee wrote the characters in the manner that I expected. I won't give away the plot, but as one can infer from the title, it features Starbuck. The arc covers 26 years before the attack at Cimtar.

BSG Classic fans will really enjoy this mini. It is substantially better than the last series. To use Comic Geek Speak ratings, this is a buyorrow. ( Not a typo) which translates into a low buy or high borrow.

2 comments:

  1. The classic Battlestar Galactica may not have been that good, but the reimagined version on the Science Fiction channel was absolutely awesome. It's one of the few cases where the remake is better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I loved Richard Hatch in the reboot.

    ReplyDelete