Monday, December 15, 2014

Penguin : Pride and Prejudice

Ever since I watched Batman on TV in the early 1970s, The Penguin has fascinated me. I've always wondered if he "succeeded" due to his drive to overcome his physical deformities or if his position was despite his condition. I want to make it clear that while not approving of his actions, I remain compelled to seek answers.

In my search for insight, I learned of the Penguin: Pride and Prejudice 5 part mini-series. My first comment about these issue is about the wonderfully dark and jagged artwork. This was straight from the pulp and noir stories that I love. The interplay of black and white contrasting with the brilliant sparkles of a devoted son's gifts to an aged mother establishes a dark and cold world.

This mini-series drew my compassion and respect for the Penguin to the forefront. As one who faces difficulty public interactions, I understand his daily struggle with the real and imagined slights from others. The first few pages of the first issue defines the overriding theme. Since these issues are readily available, I will not spoil them.

If you are a fan of the Penguin or psychological James Bondish stories, this series is for you. Since I am a fan of each, I am a definitely rating this a BUY.

Until next time,
Dane

No comments:

Post a Comment